Are you a high school student interested in environmental education? Are you passionate about nature but want to learn more about how to effectively share that passion with others? Do you like engaging with others, sharing knowledge, and promoting learning and stewardship?
We are looking for a small group of dedicated high school students to serve and learn together for a year. Become a teen docent!
Types of Volunteering
Greet visitors and share about Baylands ecology and other hands-on science education
Community and Outreach
Help deliver public programs at the EcoCenter and in the community at tabling events, after school programs, and more!
Work with our Education Manager to maintain and create quality educational materials
- Required completion of orientation/ training on May 20th, 2023.
- Volunteer at least twice a month (~3 hours each shift) with the option of volunteering weekly in the summer.
- Volunteer for at least one full year, May 2023-May 2024
- Attend additional meetings, trainings or enrichments throughout the year
Why be a Teen Docent with EV?
- Learn from environmental education professionals
- Experience a non-profit setting
- Meet like-minded friends
- Interact with a diverse public audience
- Practice public speaking and teaching skills
- Learn about the local environment
- Create your own volunteer schedule
- All volunteers 18 and over are required to complete a background check (Live Scan) as part of the onboarding process.
- All volunteers are required to show proof of vaccination before they can start volunteering . Vaccination status will not be shared.
- Volunteers may be required to wear a face mask
Ready to apply?
- Complete the online application.
- Have one reference complete a letter of recommendation form (from a teacher, coach, employer, academic counselor, etc).
- Staff will reach out to schedule a short 15 minute interview.
Applications are due April 1, 2023. Interviews will be scheduled on a rolling basis and completed by May 1st 2023. The 2023-2024 Teen Docent Program will begin on May 20th 2023.
Have more questions? Contact our staff at email@example.com