The EV Homeschool Friday Program returns September 22nd for another year of fun hands-on science and nature explorations.
For all homeschool and independent-learning students.
Environmental Volunteers’ Homeschool Program is specifically designed for homeschool and independent-study learners from ages 6 – 11 who are interested in natural sciences. During both hands-on classroom-style activities and off-site nature explorations, EV docents will lead students through fun educational activities, covering topics such as local birds, marine ecology, forest ecology, power generation and more! The classroom subject areas are intended to progress over the course of the year by ages and grade levels (Kinder through 6th grade). This will provide more age and developmentally appropriate programming for your child.
Generally, each month will have one regularly scheduled program – either a classroom style program at the EV EcoCenter in Palo Alto or an off-site field trip (locations will vary). Additional dates are available by appointment. Families are welcome to register for as many programs as they’d like. Both classroom programs and field trips are open to all children ages 6 and older. Schedule is below; pay careful attention to dates, times and locations.
Homeschool Fridays Important Details (please review before registering):
- Program Fee: $15 per child, per session (scholarships available)
- Payment Deadline: 1 week after registration has been confirmed (payment is not accepted on-site)
- Registration Deadline: 2 weeks prior to each date
- Cancellation Deadline w/Refund: 1 week prior to each date
- Due to space constraints, parents/guardians are asked to drop students off for the duration of each classroom program. We can not accommodate siblings during the classroom programs, but there are lovely trails around the EcoCenter to explore on your own.
- Parents are encouraged to stay for field trips, however. We require at least one additional adult for every group of students.
- Students will be divided into small groups for each program, based on age. Each group will be led by a trained EV docent.
- Each family should register for their own children; please do not register for children that are not members of your own household or for whom you are not the legal guardian of.
- Due to the nature of the trails we’ll be exploring, strollers and younger siblings are not permitted on field trips.
- Families/Groups are responsible for their own transportation to/from each site.
- If you’re interested in registering a homeschool group, co-op or team, please contact our Programs staff directly (firstname.lastname@example.org) for a by-appointment option.
Any questions, please contact us at email@example.com or 650-493-8000 ext 3.
Program Calendar for 2023-24 School Year**:
- Sept 22nd: Intro/Baylands Snoop. 9:30-11:30am at Palo Alto Baylands (meeting at the EcoCenter)
- Oct 20th: All About Bats. 9:30-11:30am at the EV EcoCenter.
- Nov 17th: Fire Ecology. 9:30-11:30am at the EV EcoCenter.
- Dec 8th: Sustainable Art. 9:30-11:30am at the EV EcoCenter.
- Jan 19th: Climate Change. 9:30-11:30am at the EV EcoCenter.
- Feb 9th: Foothills Ecology (with Owl Pellet Dissection). 9:30-11:30am at the EV EcoCenter.
- Mar 15th: Sustainability. 9:30-11:30am at the EV EcoCenter.
- April 19th: Earthquake Geology Field Trip. 9:30-11:30am at Los Trancos/Monte Bello Open Space Preserve.
- May 17th: Marine Ecology. 9:30-11:30am at the EV EcoCenter.
- May 31st: Tidepools Field Trip. 11am-1pm at Half Moon Bay Tidpools (exact location TBC).
**Exact topics are subject to change at the discretion of EV staff.